Board Governance: The Human Element for Directors and Their Trusted Advisors
Summary: Good governance means more than ticking off the box of legal compliance. It requires an insightful understanding of the elements of human nature that drive governance, decision-making, and leadership. It means adopting a mode of leadership and oversight that will add value to the organization while maintaining the mission, ethics and integrity of the business.
This case study based program, part of CSBI’s series on Board Leadership & Governance, is designed to provide a practical perspective on corporate governance from the view of human nature and its impact on critical leadership issues.
Based on actual examples of Board Governance issues and challenges, this program will teach Directors and their Trusted Advisors how to:
- Better understand the procedural, every day elements of organizational governance
- Understand current trends in Board behavior
- Understand the interplay between governance and the elements of human nature
Each CSBI program is tailored to the specific risks and training needs of Board Members and Board Advisors. Possible topics include:
- Board and organizational structure versus independence
- The internal control environment
- External information and disclosure
- Performance evaluation and monitoring
- Succession planning
- Compensation levels
- The treatment of shareholders and stakeholders
- Emerging governance behavior
Instructional Method, Program Length and Continuing Education Credits
This program utilizes a combination of lecture, facilitated discussion and short exercises. The suggested length is three to eight hours. Summary programs and Webinars are planned for one hour in length. Actual program content and length is tailored to the unique needs of each client, and is determined in planning conversations with the client. In accordance with the standards of the National Registry of CPE Sponsors CPE credits will be granted based on a 50-minute hour.
Program Level: Advanced
Advance Preparation: None
Deliver Method: Group-Live or Internet-Based Webinar
Field of Study: Specialized Knowledge and Applications
Recommended CPE Credits: 1 to 8 credits, depending on actual tailored program length